Sunday, January 10, 2010

Ding Ding! Round Two




"Jehhhhhhh-nifer!" hurtling down the hall, bouncing from wall to wall around the corner, and through my bedroom door, jerks me from my thoughts.  And so round two begins.

 I snap to my feet, a bit disoriented and nervous about reaching the location of the yell quickly enough not to warrant greater ire from its source.  If a second yell is warranted I know how it will increase the punishment's severity.  As I rush past my bedroom door I see that the light is on in Mom and Dad's room.  I swallow my stomach back down to where it belongs and quickly make my way into the only other lighted room upstairs to find Dad waiting for me, belt in hand.

He holds the belt, folded in half, an end in each hand, then pushes his hands slowly toward one another and quickly jerks them back apart causing a loud snap as the two halves of belt reconnect.  My body shuts down for a split second then stiffens to attention.  "Shut the door" he spats at me with pure disgust.  I do, then return to position of attention.

I am ordered to tell him, again, the offense committed.  I keep my voice loud and steady because I know he likes strength, and relay each horrible detail, making me feel disgusted with my own self.  He asks if I deserve to be punished for this.  "Yes", of course I think, as if there was any other answer anyway.  But I hold a secret hope that I already had been.  I know (maybe from the snapping of the belt or maybe from the leading questions) he has a plan for punishment all thought out regardless of my answer or anything I could possibly say.  All I can do with words now is make it worse, so I pray for "right" answers.

"What do you think your punishment should be?" is the next question.  Hmmmmmm...do I really have a say--a choice? Should I suggest our earlier meeting count as punishment?  Should I suggest a grounding?  Definitely nothing that has to do with that belt he's snapping at me...  But as I just said, all I can do now is make it worse with words.  "I don't know" is all I can force from my dry, shaking mouth.  "No, of course you don't know.  You're a moron who can't think for yourself.  You're a follower.  Hold out your hands.  Twenty on each side.  If you move or I can't hear you, I will start over.  Do you understand, Moron?"  "Yes", I choke out as I extend both arms forward, palm facing the ceiling--I knew this drill.  Dad loved punishments that hurt like hell but left no marks so this one was one of his favorites.

"Whap!" The pain startles me.  I don't remember it hurting this badly, though I'm sure it did.  I forget that I'm supposed to be counting--sensation overload.  "Okay, we'll try it again, " Dad oozes with sarcasm.  So another first try: "whap!"  "One" I amost shout jumping ever so slightly.  I can do this.  Mind over matter.  By ten, however, my voice shrinks and begins to shake and I'm using my body and all mind control I have left to force my arm to remain forward as it seems to have developed a survivalistic mind of its own.  As my elbow jabs into my stomach my stomach pushes it back forward--all body parts seem to have cried "every man for himself!"--if stomach can keep arm outstreched it won't get punched, if face doesn't cry it won't get slapped, if legs fight the jello-ey feeling in them and continue holding up the body, they won't be kicked...

Unfortunately, elbow beats stomach at about count 14 and the belt slips to the side of my hand.  "You want to play games, Puke?  We'll start over."  Whap-ow!  "One" I shrivel.

By my right hand's count of 20, I'm actually looking forward to left hand's turn both to take the pain from where I can stand it no more and to get this whole mess over with.  And actually, the left hand is usually a bit easier--body and mind have about gone numb by this point and Dad's resolve has begun to weaken along with his strength if this is possible. Or maybe I'm just used to it now.  Finally, "twenty", the relief of the end has given me my voice back.

"Get out of my sight, Puke", Dad snarls.  "Yes" is my only answer as I turn and try not to run back to my sanctuary.

By now it's bedtime so I put on pajamas and wait for the sound of his heavy steps going down the stairs.  I don't dare turn on any lights.  I walk softly down the hall to the bathroom then return to the dark sadness of my own room.  I lay atop the covers as I havent' been instructed to go to sleep yet.  I wait.  Will round three be tonight?  Will there be a round three or could it be that Dad had just given me all of my punishment?  No, I know better and wait for round three.  I'm so exhausted but desperately try not to allow myself sleep yet lest I should anger the beast even more.

I survived round two.  This rock is kind of small and insignificant--like an oboe player during a Bon Jovi song. I think I'll take it out of my brook and place it on Dad's headstone--I have plenty of music without it.  Whattaya think, Gare?




6 comments:

  1. Don't know about Gare...but let me tell you what I think. If it were possibla, I would dig myself down to the depths of hell and find your dad. It is quite possible I would offer him an ice cold beer only to take it away and bitch slap him across his face. And since this is my dream...my hand would be a huge catcher-mitt size hand and it would hurt badly...worse than hell...ok, maybe not but this is my dream of revenge so yes, it would! At work tomorrow you might need to hold me :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leave the stone in the pond. Taking it out means that it didn't happen. We need every stone to make the music of who we are, even the ones with jagged edges. In fact, given time the water will smooth the edges of these stones. If we take them out of the water they still have the ability to cut us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Toni - Damn girl, why you always gotta be haten. You needs to turn that frown up-side-down. "Ya see what ha happen wuz" :) :) :)

    @ Dave - Dude, I said take a RIGHT at the bridge! What the hell are you doing in Tampa. It's a BROOK, not a pond. I know, I know, Brook, pond... whatever, but for the smartest man I've ever known you couldn't find the Gulf of Mexico. You might want to leave the water issues to Jen (not Toni, everything is beer to her. She is a redneck, ya know :))

    @ Jen - After some careful thought on the matter, this is all I can come up with:

    Buddha might say: There is no Brook, There is no Stone, there is only music.
    A Redneck might say: instead of a rock, lets drink some more shine and we can Pee on his headstone.
    The Bon Jovi fan might say: Dude, that was an Ass Kickin' Oboe solo!!!

    and Gare might say: It's your symphony kid! It's your memory, do with it what you will. Be it stones, sand, seashells, driftwood, or nothing at all, it all creates music. Some loud, some soft but music just the same. Play on Maestro!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Toni damn it, stop giving him your hatred! Smoke some of Stevie's 'good shit', give him some good nookie and forget about it!

    Dav, of course you would be the voice of reason--what's it like to always be so logical? Of course I'll leave it in my brook to wear away the rough edges, I was just making a little jokie poo--comedy was never my thing, huh?

    Gary, comedy is obviously YOUR thing! I can make all the bad look good through my rose-colored glasses but you make all the bad just look freakin hysterical! I love the way you see things and think things. And damn it, I love YOU! And you Dav. And you Toni. Life is so flippin' awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I previously said "possibla" when meaning "possibly"...I also blame your father for my typing malfunction. Oh yeah, I be hatin' and drinking beer! Gare envies this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I guess after reading and remembering I had a hard time finding humor.

    If you get a chance go to www.footstepsfac.com/furnace and let me know how my blog is compared to the ones you're reading and writing.

    ReplyDelete

 

All blog content © 2010 by Jen Picardi at "The Brook Would Have No Music"
Blog Design © 2010 by Rabbity Things™ Designs