Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Round One

The questioning began very controlled:  "yes/no" questions to which he knew the answers.  Each answer was followed by a hard, angrier-than-I'd-ever-felt-before, slap across the right side of my still small face (he was left handed so that was the hand used especially for horrific crimes such as mine).  At some point during the question and answer period he lost control.  I don't recall exactly why (I probably tried to expound or defend one of my supposed-to-be yes/no answers) but at this point I became air-born and was told all of my horrible inequities.  I was a liar, a follower, a puke, a punk, a rat...the list grew with each toss of my body.  He would grab a large handful of hair (pretty much all of it) in his baseball mitt hand, lift me off the floor, then throw me back down onto it with a force that caused as much shock as pain.  Each time my rag doll body hit the floor I'd scramble to my feet as he'd growl, "get up." 

Between flings he'd knock the wind out of me with a punch always placed in the precise spot to do so, then ask one of his questions.  When I couldn't answer due to lack of air, I 'd hear "stop playing games" followed by the pain of my hair being used to, again, lift and hurl me to a spot hopefully far enough from his feet that I wouldn't get kicked back down if I didn't scramble to attention again quickly enough.

After what seemed like hours (it probably really only lasted about 45 minutes) of this initiation into my first real punishment, he snarled for me to go to my room.  Of course he had to get one last push to the floor in as I passed him to get to the stairs leading to my room.  Thank God, I made it through round one.  A bit shaken, bruised and in shock, but I finally hit the sanctuary that was my bedroom.  

I sat on my bed and cried quietly until there were no tears left to cry.  It was a healing cry--it was the unleashing of the months of guilt, the day of pure anxiety and the hurt of Dad's rage and hatred toward me.  Yes, it was a good cry and when it was done I sat quietly and waited for round two.  Still and quiet I sat there on my bed, cried out, as the light drained from the day and the room darkened.  I heard Dory, Gary, and Dave arrive home from school at various times, I heard them talking, then eating dinner, then watching t.v.  I waited and wondered what could possibly come next.  I was scared but a little bit empowered too.  Empowered by my survival. 

That survival is the strength that has pushed me past my rocks of various shapes and sizes.  And that strength has been a damned good thing in my times of need.  Rocks shmocks, I say!  Let the orchestra play on!

Jen ;-)

5 comments:

  1. O'kay, remember last weekend when I said that maybe Dad was doing what he did on purpose? Well, forget it! My initial thoughts were right! He was just an asshole (hand gesture to the forehead - in deaf mode).

    If you could choose, How much music would you want in your brook? Would you have left that little (or big) concerto out?

    Hmmmmmmmm :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Remember that Bugs Bunny cartoon where the big orchestra guy is directing the band and Bugs keeps f'in with him? It ends with Bugs doing something that makes the guys head shrink down to itty-bitty size until he looks like a really big jerk with a damn ridiculous looking head & squeaky voice...
    This is your dad to me. The more you tell me stories about him the smaller he gets in my mind. He may have been the big guy leading the band but his asshole ways make him smaller & smaller until he just looks stupid.
    Bugs Bunny always survived and I guess that is the connection this scenario has to you. I just want to know...where the hell is Elmer Fudd with that damn muzzle loader when you need him?
    (I'm never going to forgive your father. I will carry the hate even if you are too good to carry it...because...I love you.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gary and I were Elmer with the muzzle loader--we were just too damned chicken to use it! And don't give my father your hatred--hatred is bad for you, don't let him hurt you too. He's done enough damage with his own children--you're way too good for that! Because I love you too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jen, I was pointed towards your blog by Nancy at f8hasit, little did I know where she was pointing me. This is incredible but I find it difficult to read. No, I am not also a victim of abuse but I spent a 20 year career in law enforcement in California, 4 and a half of those years as a detective specializing in domestic violence/sexual abuse/child abuse. It just hurts my heart to read, I keep wanting to jump in the middle, make it stop and take him to jail (that is just what I did). I am amazed at your resilience, your ability to tell the story factually without a lot of recriminations by either you or apparently Gary based only on his comment above. You are an amazing woman. It does give me hope that many other children can also survive such treatment and become amazing adults too. I have begun to follow you but forgive me if I can only read in small doses, to save my heart some ache. Thank you though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Julie, thank you so much for your kind and heart-warming words and please accept my sincerest apologies if reading my story is hurtful to you--that is certainly not my intention. My intent in telling my story is to show others that no matter how bad things are or have been, there is good and there are lessons in everything, every situation, no matter how unpleasant. It saddens me to see people fall into bad situations, unable to pull themselves out. I feel like if I can help just one person overcome that, I will have done what I set out to do. Thanks again for your interest and caring of my story, and moreso for the help and love you showed all the children you helped in your years in law enforcement. You are a good woman.

    ReplyDelete

 

All blog content © 2010 by Jen Picardi at "The Brook Would Have No Music"
Blog Design © 2010 by Rabbity Things™ Designs