Sunday, February 28, 2010

I'm A Yia Yia (Grandma)!!!


I would like to offer a sincere apology for the long hiatus in posts.  I got the call early last Wednesday morning from my son-in-law that my Alex was in labor--I could hear her in the background saying "ow, ow, ow, ow" in a sort of panicky voice--yup, this was it.

Two and a half hours later the phone rang again to say that she was at 8cm. already--this time her panic-stricken voice was a bit louder and she could be heard summonning the help of God (she chose 'natural' childbirth (no epidural)).  Of course I was still awake from the previous call.  Still checking flights on the computer and thinking of my options to get 700 miles away as quickly as possible on the $150. I had in my bank account (wait, that was my husband's bank account and I couldn't use his money (he's not a very giving fella), so I figured I would find a payday advance place. When daylight came I would find a way to get the money and drive the 10 hours.  I knew she would be delivering soon so I told her husband to call me at work and I would leave as soon as she delivered.


I got to work, told them I was leaving and began to look for a pay advance store.  Guess what?  There's no such thing in the mountains of NC.  So my Toni was going to get a short term loan from her bank for me.  Really.  She struggles, often, to feed her children and was willing to lend me the money.  But not my own husband.  My eyes were opened very wide that day. 

Now here's the kicker.  My daughter's school bus driver was dropping off one of our students and I asked her if she, perhaps, knew of any pay advance places in any nearby towns as I didn't want to take the money from Toni.  She tells me she has cash in her purse that she was holding on to to pay a bill at the end of the month and wanted me to have it.  She said God spoke to her.  She cried.  I have never been so moved by such giving people.  So now, there are two people, neither of whom are my husband, willing to help me get to Florida to be with my daughter and new granddaughter.  Maybe it's because they are both mothers and understand.  Maybe God speaks to them but not my husband.  What have I married?  The disappointment grows in me every day. Every time I look at him.


At any rate, my son in law called me at 8:30 to say that Alex delivered baby Maria just minutes earlier at 6lbs.3oz. and 19 1/2 in. long.  I was on the road within an hour and got to Florida by 8pm to hold that perfect little baby.  I'm in love.  I stayed with them all week and just stared at this tiny miracle sent from heaven. And at the miracle that came to me from heaven 21 years ago.  My God I love her with every ounce of my being. 


Sunday was Alex's birthday.  I was still in the fog of happiness and went down to the tourist shops (she lives in a condo on Clearwater Beach) to find her just the perfect gift.  And there it was, a perfectly dainty silver necklace--its pendant, a turtle hatching out of a shell.  She's always had a thing for turtles.  It was only $10 too--bonus!  Well when my husband heard about it, he got his undies in a wad because guess what I used to pay for it?  The Visa attached to his account.  How dare I use his money to buy her anything when I shouldn't have bought her anything at all since she's wealthy and has everything she could ever want?  Yes, he said that--almost verbatim.  Now my disappointment is turning to raw hatred.


Again, what have I married? 

I apologize for the rambling.  This was supposed to be dedicated to my sweet little baby Maria.  Any words of advice on how to get past the idiocy and infancy of my husband?  I know you love him Gare, but really, he's an ass hole.  See?  Even baby Maria thinks so...


Gus, Alex and Baby Maria are all wonderful, healthy, and happy!  I can't wait to see them again as soon as school lets out.  Or maybe sooner...

Because do I really need more rocks in my brook?  I think the music is just right as it is.

Jen ;-)

5 comments:

  1. Your granddaughter is absolutely beautiful. I am glad that in spite of your husbands lack of generosity that there were people in your life that were placed there at a time that they could help you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. GGGGGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.....Mama bear with serious hormones starting to come out!!!!

    I'm so sorry that your wonderful time was tainted by an insensitive jerk.

    I love you and that's all that matters! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know...you just don't look old enough to be a yia yia...just saying ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mendi, I'm very thankful for the placement of those angels when and where I needed them. Thanks for the compliment on baby Maria--I'm just in love with her!
    Shannon, I love how you care <3 You are one of those angels always placed right where and when you're needed the most!
    Toni, I know. ;-) Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful baby! Look at all that hair. Love the one with the tongue sticking out...priceless!

    ReplyDelete

 

All blog content © 2010 by Jen Picardi at "The Brook Would Have No Music"
Blog Design © 2010 by Rabbity Things™ Designs